Barbara McCrady, Ph.D
PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1975
Areas of ExpertiseCouples & families
Empirically supported treatments
Mechanisms of behavior change
Mutual help groups
Primary Research Area
My overall interest is in improving treatments for persons affected by alcohol and other drug problems through the development of empirically supported treatments. Within this broad area, I have focused in particular on conjoint therapy, other approaches that involve the social network, cognitive behavioral therapy, mutual help groups, and therapies for women. My research focuses on both outcomes research and research on mechanisms of change in therapy.
Download Dr. McCrady's full vita.
- Neurocognitive and Neurobehavioral Mechanisms of Change following Psychological Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder (NIAAA, B. McCrady & E. Claus MPIs)
- Oxytocin to Enhance Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy (NIAAA, R01, J. Flanagan, PI)
- Alcohol Research Training: Methods and Mechanisms (NIAAA, T32)
- Smartphone Help for DWI Offenders and their Families: A B-SMART App (NIAAA, R44; G. Woodall, PI)
- Neural Mechanisms of Behavior Change in a Community Sample of Drinkers (NIAAA 1 R01AA023665-01; E. Claus & K. Witkiewitz, MPIs)
- Developing a Brief Family-Involved Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorders (B-FIT) (NIAAA, R34)
- Imaging Brain Activity in Substance Use Treatment (NIAAA, K01, J. Houck, PI)
- Injectable Pharmacotherapy for Opioid Use Disorders (IPOD) (LJ Arnold Foundation, T. Condon, PI)
- Adapting Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy for Service Members in Post-Deployment (NIAAA, R34)
- Neuroimaging Mechanisms of Change in Psychotherapy for Addictive Behaviors (NIAAA, R13)
- Testing A Couple-based Program for Alcohol Risk Reduction in the National Guard (NIAAA, Elizabeth Epstein, PI)
- Adapting alcohol behavioral couple therapy for service members in post-deployment (NIAAA, Elizabeth Epstein PI)
- Southwest Clinical Trials Network Node: CTN (NIDA, U10)
- Celebrate Recovery® and the Palmer Drug Abuse Program: Analyses of the Scientific Literature (J. F Maddox Foundation)
- Smartphone help for DWI offenders and the families: A B-SMART app (NIAAA, Gill Woodall PI)
- Brief Motivational Interventions for Male Drinkers being Released from Jail (NIAAA, F31)
- Mechanisms of Change: Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy (NIAAA, R01)
- Review of the AA Literature: Clinical and Research Implications (NIAAA, R21)
- Testing CBT Models and Change Mechanisms for Alcohol Dependent Women (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- An Evaluation of the Methadone maintenance Program at the Bernalillo County Detention Center
- Targeting Social Networks to Maximize Alcohol Use Disorder Treatment and Prevention (Primary Mentor, NIAAA, F31)
- Recovering Together in San Juan County: Cross-Discipline Collaboration and a Specialized Outpatient Treatment Program for Families Struggling with Substance Abuse and Child Maltreatment Issues (Co-Investigator, ACYF)
- Overall Evaluation of the DYFS MOMS Addiction Program (Co-Investigator, State of New Jersey, Division of Substance Abuse)
- Testing Alcohol Behavioral & Couples Therapy for Women (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R37)
- Restructuring Services for Drug Abusing TANF Women (Co-Investigator, NIDA and ACF)
- Adapting Behavioral Marital Therapy to Treat Drug Abuse (Co-Investigator, NIDA, R01)
- Testing Alcohol Behavioral Couples Therapy for Women (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Applying Treatment Research Technologies in New Settings (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Rutgers Advanced Training Program in Clinical Research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, T32)
- Issues in Informed Consent in Clinical Research with Alcohol and Drug Abusing Subjects (Principal Investigator, Busch Biomedical Research Grant)
- Alcoholic Couples: Two Models of Heterogeneity (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Research on A.A.: Opportunities and Alternatives (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R13)
- Alcohol treatment: Integrating basic & applied research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, P50)
- Preventing relapses after couples' alcoholism treatment (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Multisite study of substance use diagnosis (Co-Investigator, NIDA, R01)
- Environmental Treatment of Alcohol Abusers (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Conference: Directions in Alcohol Abuse Treatment Research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R13)
- Marital, Spouse & Self Control Therapy of Alcoholics (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Alcoholism Treatment in the Partial Hospital Setting (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- 2023 Dora Goldstein Award for Diversity in Sciences, Research Society on Alcohol
- 2018 Annual Research Lectureship, University of New Mexico
- 2017 Seixas Award for Distinguished Service, Research Society on Alcoholism
- 5th Annual G. Alan Marlatt Mentorship Award, Research Society on Alcoholism
- Fellow, Divisions 12 & 50, American Psychological Association
- MERIT (Method to Extend Research in Time) Award, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse, Betty Ford Lectureship award
- Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, Distinguished Service Award
- American Psychological Association, Division 50 (Addictions), Distinguished Career Contributions to Education and Training Award
- Member, Bernalillo County Addiction Treatment Advisory Board
- Epstein, E. E. & McCrady, B. S. (2023). Group CBT for women with Alcohol Use Disorder - Therapist guide. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Epstein, E. E. & McCrady, B. S. (2023). Group CBT for women with Alcohol Use Disorder – Client workbook. NY: Oxford University Press.
- Hernandez-Vallant, A., Votaw, V. R., Herron, J. L., Stein, E. R., Swan, J. E., Ulrich, D. M., Blackwell, M. A., & McCrady, B. S. (2023). A clinical science guide for reviewing the cross-cultural rigor of assessments in an alcohol training clinic. Psychological Services.
- McCrady, B. S., Tonigan, J. S., Fink, B. C., Chávez, R., Martinez, A. D., Borders, A., ... & Epstein, E. E. (2023). A randomized pilot trial of brief family-involved treatment for alcohol use disorder: Treatment engagement and outcomes. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- McCrady, B. S., Epstein, E. E., & Holzhauer, C. (2023). Couple therapy in the treatment of alcohol problems. In: D. K. Snyder & J. Lebow (Eds.), Clinical handbook of couple therapy, 6th edition (pp. 554-575). Guilford Press.
- McCrady, B. S. & Epstein, E. E. (2021). Alcohol use disorders. In: D. H. Barlow (Ed.), Clinical handbook of psychological disorders, 6th edition. A step-by-step treatment manual (pp. 555-611). NY: The Guilford Press.
- McCrady, B. S., & Flanagan, J. (2021). The role of the family in alcohol use disorder recovery. Alcohol Research: Current Reviews, 41.
- Hallgren, K. A., McCrady, B. S., Witkiewitz, K., & Caudell, T. P. (2021). Do alcohol interventions affect peers who do not receive intervention? Modeling treatment contagion effects via simulations of adolescent social networks. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 36, 326-336.
- Hallgren, K. A., Holzhauer, C. G., Esptein, E. E., McCrady, B. S., & Cook, S. (2021). Optimizing the length and reliability of measures of mechanisms of change to support measurement-based care in alcohol use disorder treatment. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 89, 277-287.
- McCrady, B. S., Witkiewitz, K., Venner, K. L., & Fokas, K. (2020). Education and training in substance use disorders and addictions: The University New Mexico integrated training model. Training and Education in Professional Psychology, 14, 60-69.
- McCrady, B. S., Epstein, E. E., & Fokas, K. (2020). Treatment interventions for women with alcohol use disorder. Alcohol Research: Current Reviews, 40,
- Holzhauer, C., Epstein, E. E., Hallgren, K., Hilderbrand, T., & McCrady, B. S. (2020). Mechanisms of change in female-specific and gender-neutral cognitive behavioral therapy for women with alcohol use disorder. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 88, 541-553.