Roberta Chavez, M.A.
Research Assessment and Data Services
Program Evaluation Services (PES) and Research Data Services (RDS) provides high quality services to recruit, consent, assess, and track research participants using most of the standardized assessment tools developed for alcohol and other substance abuse clinical trials. Details of these services are described below. In addition, for the past three years, PES has worked on projects with the Mind Research Network (MRN); all require real-time data entry. The assessments include information on age, years of education, handedness, SES, cognitive functioning, psychiatric diagnosis, emotional and substance abuse measures, all of which are assessed for each participant. Psychiatric diagnosis is determined through administration of several diagnostic instruments such as the SCID-IV given by trained PES research assistants. The Hare Psychopathy Checklist-Revised (PCL-R) is used to assess psychopathy in all participants; the Addiction Severity Index and the Sobell Timeline Follow-back Calendar are used to assess substance use. The data are coded with a unique semi-random nine digit subject number. All data after initial entry into the study are coded based on the participant number. This provides complete anonymization of the data. Direct identifiers will be maintained only within the secure online database that produces the participant's unique research study identifier (URSI) number; the link is in the online secure database.
Our MissionTo provide the highest quality in consultation, recruitment, data acquisition, and data entry and management by national and international standards. We have served numerous projects and almost two decades and we currently are conducting research with links to city, state, and federal funding agencies. We have been recognized for our quality services at the national level.
We offer a variety of services that ensure the success of your research project. Our staff has extensive experience with behavioral and medication trials. Studies conducted in conjunction with us have ranged from small pilot-studies to large multi-site trials such as COMBINE and the CTN. We welcome challenging, intricate, and cutting-edge research protocols. Our services can be customized to include all aspects of your research needs or you can choose those that best suit your project.
DevelopmentWe are available to offer investigators when developing their for research protocols based on our extensive experience of almost two decades in this field. Our development services include:
- Assisting in the production of IRB submissions and all study materials and assessment instruments;
- Consulting early in the project proposal preparation process on optimal measures to include in the study design;
- Providing information on our large library of assessment and test materials, manuals, and scoring keys pertinent to research;
- Helping in the preparation and budgeting for submission of your study proposal
RecruitmentWe have a highly trained staff that understands the process of successfully recruiting participants for a variety of research protocols from among target demographic populations. Our experienced staff achieves target numbers for recruitment for various research projects looking at diverse populations. Our recruitment services include:
- Networking with local healthcare and social services agencies to reach target populations;
- Bilingual recruitment and translation services for recruitment materials;
- Helping build recruitment strategies into your research projects and market studies through in-person presentations to relevant organizations, fliers, radio, and television;
- Screening potential study participants by means of telephone screening or more in-depth personal interviews, based on your preferences.
Data AcquisitionOur certified research staff adheres to the highest ethical standards for collecting and maintaining research data. The staff ensures that study participants' safety and confidentiality are protected while maintaining our paramount commitment to the integrity of the data.Our staff can either conduct study procedures at our facility or we can come to your organization! Contracted study procedures can include:
- Thorough pre-study screening
- Documented consent process
- Study participant interview scheduling
- Baseline & follow-up assessments
- Follow-up tracking
- Maintenance and storage of study protocol case files & confidential records
- Staff that is exceptionally familiar with research protocol & assessment
- Bilingual staff available for conducting all aspects of data acquisition
Participant RetentionWe have a history of maintaining remarkable follow-up rates, with retention rates ranging from 85% to 93% in projects with diverse populations of participants living across the United States. We have been widely recognized for our phenomenal ability to achieve high follow-up rates, even with challenging populations. Our diligence and dedication is key to ensuring continued study participant involvement. Some recruitment strategies include:
- Telephone calls;
- Internet research;
- Home visits;
- Jail visits;
- Contact with recruitment sources;
- Other protocol-approved contact information.
Data Entry & ManagementThe data entry services aim to provide the highest quality in data entry and data management services. We offer services for double-pass data entry as well as database management. These services can be of a consultative or performance based nature. We have the expertise to work within multiple software environments and we routinely exchange data sets across numerous platforms and formats. We normally use a double-pass method of data entry from hard copy. Independent coders enter all case files twice and the records are then compared electronically. Discrepancies are resolved by reference to the original case file; missing data are addressed directly with the data collection staff. This procedure has been shown to result in less than one entry error per 10,000 (as compared with 3-5% error on single pass data entry by research assistants). The data entry staff is highly experienced in entry and management of data sets. Data entry screen construction is currently done in Microsoft Access, and the data files can be exported in any format desired.
Available Data Entry Services:
- Consultation in designing user friendly data entry software tailored to program needs
- Development of data entry software
- Timely provision of accurate, double entered and verified data sets
- Integrating and managing complex data sets
- Provision of formative feedback to improve the quality of data collection procedures
Quality Assurance and Regulatory ComplianceOur trained staff monitors study documents to ensure data quality, protocol and regulatory adherence using applicable national and local regulations and standards. AT FEES YOU CAN AFFORD
To find out more about our services, please contact Roberta Chavez for more information at: 505-925-2367 or email@example.com
Download our brochure.