Richard Neil Greene, Ph.D
BA, Psychology, University of Rhode Island
MA, Health Communication, Emerson College
MA, Sociology, University of New Mexico
PhD, Sociology, University of New Mexico
Primary Research Area
Neil Greene is a postdoctoral fellow at the Center on Alcohol, Substance Use, and Addictions at the University of New Mexico. He is a scholar of housing, homelessness, harm reduction, recovery, and the social determinants of health. His dissertation comprised a community engaged approach to analyzing death records of people affected by homelessness. This mixed methods research examined the social construction of data, social exclusion from services, and levels of hiddenness in relation to social connections and social forces. As a postdoctoral fellow, Dr. Greene will continue studying housing stability (and instability) in relation to interventions promoting harm reduction and recovery from addiction.
Download Dr. Greene's full vita.
- Greene, R. Neil. (forthcoming). "Marked as homeless: Reconciling with ambiguities about homelessness and housing status in death records". Conditionally accepted to Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World.
- Greene, R. Neil. 2022. "A Few More Cups of Coffee: Beginning Community-Engaged Research and Seeing It Through." In The Community Based PhD. Complexities and Triumphs of Conducting CBPR, edited by Sonya Atalay and Alexandra McCleary. University of Arizona Press. https://uapress.arizona.edu/book/the-community-based-phd
- Funk, Amy, R. Neil Greene, Pia Valvassor and Kate Dill. 2022. The Impact of Homelessness on Mortality of Individuals Living in the United States: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Journal of Healthcare for the Poor and Underserved. 33(1):457-77. https://muse.jhu.edu/article/847227
- Crisanti, Annette S., Shelley Alonso-Marsden, Leah Puglisi, Richard Neil Greene, Tyler Kincaid, Jenna L. Dole, and Neal Bowen. 2021. "Association between Psychological Integration and Permanent Supportive Housing: An Exploratory Study with a Focus on Ethnicity." Social Sciences 10(12):468. doi: 10.3390/socsci10120468.
- Opara, Ijeoma, Sana Malik, David T. Lardier, Joyonna Gamble-George, Ryan J. Kelly, Chukwuemeka N. Okafor, R. Neil Greene, and Deanna Parisi. 2021. "Alcohol Use Cravings as a Mediator Between Associated Risk Factors on Increased Alcohol Use among Youth Adults in New York During the COVID-19 Pandemic." Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly 1-15. doi: 10.1080/07347324.2021.1950091
- Greene, R. Neil and Wayne Centrone. 2020. Ending the Persistence of Homelessness. Pp 127-124 in Agenda for Social Justice: Solutions for 2020, edited by Glenn W. Muschert, Kristen M. Budd, Michelle Christian, and Robert Perrucci. University of Bristol, Policy Press.
- Goodkind, Jessica R., Deborah Bybee, Julia Meredith Hess, Suha Amer, Martin Ndayisenga, R. Neil Greene, Ryeora Choe, Brian Isakson, Brandon Baca, and Mahbooba Pannah. 2020. "Randomized Controlled Trial of a Multilevel Intervention to Address Social Determinants of Refugee Mental Health." American Journal of Community Psychology. doi:10.1002/ajcp.12418.
- Greene, R. Neil. 2019. "Kinship, Friendship, and Service Provider Social Ties and How They Influence Well-Being among Newly Resettled Refugees". Socius: Sociological Research for a Dynamic World, 5, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1177/2378023119896192