Research Professor, Department of Psychology, University of New Mexico
Interim Director, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions
Chair, UNM main campus Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Educational Psychology, University of New Mexico, 1989
Areas of Expertise:
Primary Research Area:
I am especially interested in behavior change in mutual-help programs. Current research activities include study of the: (1) meta-analytic combining of mutual help studies, (2) longitudinal relationships between AA attendance, commitment to AA-related practices, and outcome, (3) role of AA-specific and non-specific behavior change mechanisms in explaining outcome, (4) distinctions between abstinence and sobriety in AA, and (4) the role of psychopathology in mediating AA-related practices and outcome. I am also interested in the measurement of treatment outcome, readiness for change, and the application of advanced statistical techniques to model behavior changes over time.
- Research and Mentoring in AA-related Mechanisms of Change (NIAAA, K24), Principal Investigator
- Southwest Clinical Trials Network Node: CTN (NIDA, U10, Barbara McCrady, PI), Co-Investigator
- Alcohol Research Training: Methods and mechanisms (NIAAA, T32, Barbara McCrady, PI), Mentor
- Urban Native Americans and AA (NIAAA, R21), Principal Investigator
Current Graduate Students and Post-doctorate Fellows:
Selected Research Publications:
- Review of the AA Literature: Clinical and Research Implications (NIAAA, R21), Principal Investigator
- Mechanisms of Change: Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy (NIAAA, R01, Barbara McCrady, PI), Co-Investigator
- Controlling for Endogeneity Biases in Estimating AA Effects on Drinking Outcomes (NIAAA, R21, Steve Magura, IP), Consultant
- A Transtheoretical Model of AA-related Behavior Change (NIAAA, R01)
- A Survey Study of Informed Consent Processes in Addiction Treatment (NIDA, R21)
- The Social Context for AA-related Behavior Change (NIAAA, K02)
- 12-step Facilitation Adapted for the Dually Diagnosed(NIAAA, R01)
- Therapeutic Mechanisms in AA (NIAAA, R21)
- Mechanisms and Moderators of Behavior Change in Alcoholics Anonymous (NIAAA, R21)
- Spirituality and AA Practices: 10-year MATCH Follow-up (NIAAA, R21)
- Modeling and Modifying Motivation for Change (NIDA, R01)
- Combining Medications and Behavioral Interventions (Project COMBINE, NIAAA, U10)
- Clinical Trial of Interventions with Significant Others (NIAAA, R01)
- Unilateral Family Intervention for Drug Problems (NIDA, R01)
- Strategies for Matching Clients to Treatments Project MATCH (NIAAA, U10)
- Relapse precipitants: Replication of Marlatts relapse taxonomy (NIAAA)
- Effectiveness of the Community Reinforcement Approach (NIAAA, R01)
- Greenfield, B.L., Venner, K.L., Tonigan, J.S., Honeyestewa, M., Hubbell, H., & Bluehorse, D. (in press). Low rates of alcohol and tobacco use, strong cultural ties for Native American college students in the Southwest. Addictive Behaviors.
- Hallgren, K., McCrady, B.S., Caudell, T. P., Witkiewitz, K., & Tonigan, J. S. (in press). Simulating Drinking in Social Networks to Inform Alcohol Prevention and Treatment Efforts, Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
- Kuerbis, A. & Tonigan, J.S. (2018). More than taking a chair: The perceived group social dynamics of Alcoholics Anonymousrelated to changes in spiritual practices, Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly.
- Magill, M., Apodaca, T.R., Borsari, B., Gaume, J., *Hoadley, A., *Gordon, R., Tonigan, J.S., & Moyers, T. (in press). A meta-analysis of motivational interviewing process 2: Technical, relational, and conditional process models of change. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
- Montes, K. S., & Tonigan J. S. (2017). Does Age Moderate the Effect of Spiritual Practices in Accounting for Alcoholics Anonymous Benefit? Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 35, 2, 96-112.
- Muñoz, R. E., & Tonigan, J. S., (2017). AA-Related Benefit for Urban Native Americans: Does Urban Native American Gender Moderate AA Engagement and Outcomes? Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 35 (1), 34-45.
Download Dr. Tonigan's full vita