Research Assistant Professor
BA, Psychology, Hunter College, City University of New York
PhD, Psychology (Clinical), Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Predoctoral Psychology Intern, Southwest Consortium Predoctoral Psychology Internship
Postdoctoral Fellowship, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions, University of New Mexico
- The role of emotion regulation in alcohol and other substance use disorders
- Improving treatment approaches for comorbid substance use disorders and posttraumatic stress disorder (SUD/PTSD) in special underserved populations
- Neuroimaging of stress and emotion regulation in the context of alcohol and other substance use problems
- Neural mechanisms of behavioral change
- Interventions to reduce perinatal substance use problems
- The role of posttraumatic stress disorder and emotion regulation in perinatal substance use problems
- " Using neuroimaging techniques to better understand PTSD symptoms
- Examining the Interplay Between Resting Oscillations, Novelty Processing, and Attention in PTSD (NIMH, R21) Role: Multiple Principal Investigator in collaboration with Julia Stephen
- Neural Underpinnings of Emotion Regulation and Drinking to Cope among Problem Alcohol Drinkers (NIAAA/OD, K23) Role: Principal Investigator
- Psychophysiological and Neural Mechanisms of Emotion Dysregulation in Alcohol Disorders Comorbid with PTSD (NIAAA, R21) Role: Principal Investigator
- The Role of PTSD in relapse among pregnant substance using women (NIDA, R25DA03516R25, PI: Sorenson) Role: Pilot Principal Investigator
- Prenatal yoga as adjunctive treatment for pregnant women with substance use disorders. Volunteer Project in Collaboration with Milagro, ASAP, and High Desert Yoga.
- Providing Expanded Continuous Labor Support to Pregnant Women in New Mexico with Substance Use Disorders (NIMHHD, U54MD004811, MPIs Brave Heart, Cacari-Stone, Sanchez, Verney) Role: Pilot Principal Investigator
Current Lab Members:
Selected Research Publications:
- Korinna Christian
- Anthony Lohr-Valdez
- Andrea Rodriguez
- Samantha Benavidez
- Grace Cairo
- Melissa Henry
- Dathan Gleichmann
- Sanjuan, P. M., Pearson, M. R., Poremba, C., Amaro, H., & Leeman, L. M. (2019). An ecological momentary assessment study examining posttraumatic stress disorder symptoms, prenatal bonding, and substance use among pregnant women. Drug and Alcohol Dependence,, 195 (1), 33-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2018.11.019
- Sanjuan, P. M., Andrews, C., & Claus, E. D. (2018). Abnormal target detection and novelty processing neural response in posttraumatic stress disorder. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, 85, 54-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnpbp.2018.04.003
- Sanjuan, P. M., Poremba, C., Flynn, L. R., Savich, R., Annett, R. D., & Stephen, J. (2016). Association between theta power in 6-month old infants at rest and maternal PTSD severity: A pilot study. Neuroscience Letters 630, 120-26
- Sanjuan, P. M., Pearson, M. R., & Langenbucher, J. (2015) Conditional Effects of Appearance and Performance Enhancing Drugs (APEDs) Use on Mood in Powerlifters and Bodybuilders. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 33(4), 447-457.
- Sanjuan, P. M., Langenbucher, J. L., & Hildebrandt, T. (2015). Mood symptoms in steroid users: the unexamined role of concurrent stimulant use. Journal of Substance Use. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.3109/14659891.2015.1040089.
- Sanjuan, P. M., Rice, S. L., Witkiewitz, K., Mandler, R. N., Crandall, C., & Bogenschutz, M. P. (2014). Alcohol, tobacco, and drug use among emergency department patients. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 138, 32-38. PMCID: PMC4030520.
- Sanjuan, P. M., Thoma, R., Claus, E. D., Mays, N., & Caprihan, A. (2013). Reduced white matter integrity in the cingulum and anterior corona radiata in posttraumatic stress disorder in male combat veterans: A diffusion tensor imaging study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 214 (3) 260-268. PMCID: PMC3988979.
- Shoemaker, J.M., Holdsworth, M.T., Aine, C., Calhoun, V.D., de La Garza, R., Feldstein Ewing, S.W., Hayek, R., Mayer, A.R., Kiehl, K.A., Petree, L.E., Sanjuan, P., Scott, A., Stephen, J., & Phillips, J.P. (2011). A practical approach to incidental findings in neuroimaging research. Neurology, 77, 2123-2127. PMCID: PMC3235350
- Sanjuan, P. M., Langenbucher, J. W., & Labouvie, E. (2009). The role of sexual assault and sexual dysfunction in alcohol and other drug use disorders. Alcoholism Treatment Quarterly, 27(2), 150-163. PMCID: PMC2681246
- Langenbucher, J., Martin, C., Labouvie, E., Sanjuan, P. M., Bavly, L., & Pollock, N. (2000). Toward the DSM-IV: The Withdrawal-Gate Model vs. the DSM-IV in the diagnosis of alcohol abuse and dependence. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68, 799-809.
Download Dr. Sanjuan's full vita