Distinguished Professor of Psychology
Director, Center on Alcoholism, Substance Abuse, and Addictions
PhD, Clinical Psychology, University of Rhode Island, 1975
Areas of Expertise:
Primary Research Area:
My overall interest is in improving treatments for persons affected by alcohol and other drug problems through the development of empirically supported treatments. Within this broad area, I have focused in particular on conjoint therapy, other approaches that involve the social network, cognitive behavioral therapy, mutual help groups, and therapies for women. My research focuses on both outcomes research and research on mechanisms of change in therapy.
- Neural Mechanisms of Behavior Change in a Community Sample of Drinkers (NIAAA 1 R01AA023665-01; E. Claus & K. Witkiewitz, MPIs)
- Testing A Couple-based Program for Alcohol Risk Reduction in the National Guard (NIAAA, Elizabeth Epstein, PI)
- Developing a Brief Family-Involved Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorders (B-FIT) (NIAAA, R34)
- Adapting alcohol behavioral couple therapy for service members in post-deployment (NIAAA, Elizabeth Epstein PI)
- Alcohol Research Training: Methods and Mechanisms (NIAAA, T32)
- Southwest Clinical Trials Network Node: CTN (NIDA, U10)
- Imaging Brain Activity in Substance Use Treatment (NIAAA, K01)
- Injectible Pharmacotherapy for Opioid Use Disorders (IPOD) (NIDA, U01)
- Adapting Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy for Service Members in Post-Deployment (NIAAA, R34)
- Neuroimaging Mechanisms of Change in Psychotherapy for Addictive Behaviors (NIAAA, R13)
Current Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows:
- Celebrate Recovery® and the Palmer Drug Abuse Program: Analyses of the Scientific Literature (J. F Maddox Foundation)
- Smartphone help for DWI offenders and the families: A B-SMART app (NIAAA, Gill Woodall PI)
- Brief Motivational Interventions for Male Drinkers being Released from Jail (NIAAA, F31)
- Mechanisms of Change: Alcohol Behavioral Couple Therapy (NIAAA, R01)
- Review of the AA Literature: Clinical and Research Implications (NIAAA, R21)
- Testing CBT Models and Change Mechanisms for Alcohol Dependent Women (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- An Evaluation of the Methadone maintenance Program at the Bernalillo County Detention Center
- Targeting Social Networks to Maximize Alcohol Use Disorder Treatment and Prevention (Primary Mentor, NIAAA, F31)
- Recovering Together in San Juan County: Cross-Discipline Collaboration and a Specialized Outpatient Treatment Program for Families Struggling with Substance Abuse and Child Maltreatment Issues (Co-Investigator, ACYF)
- Overall Evaluation of the DYFS MOMS Addiction Program (Co-Investigator, State of New Jersey, Division of Substance Abuse)
- Testing Alcohol Behavioral & Couples Therapy for Women (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R37)
- Restructuring Services for Drug Abusing TANF Women (Co-Investigator, NIDA and ACF)
- Adapting Behavioral Marital Therapy to Treat Drug Abuse (Co-Investigator, NIDA, R01)
- Testing Alcohol Behavioral Couples Therapy for Women (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Applying Treatment Research Technologies in New Settings (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Rutgers Advanced Training Program in Clinical Research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, T32)
- Issues in Informed Consent in Clinical Research with Alcohol and Drug Abusing Subjects (Principal Investigator, Busch Biomedical Research Grant)
- Alcoholic Couples: Two Models of Heterogeneity (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Research on A.A.: Opportunities and Alternatives (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R13)
- Alcohol treatment: Integrating basic & applied research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, P50)
- Preventing relapses after couples' alcoholism treatment (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Multisite study of substance use diagnosis (Co-Investigator, NIDA, R01)
- Environmental Treatment of Alcohol Abusers (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Conference: Directions in Alcohol Abuse Treatment Research (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R13)
- Marital, Spouse & Self Control Therapy of Alcoholics (Principal Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
- Alcoholism Treatment in the Partial Hospital Setting (Co-Investigator, NIAAA, R01)
Awards and Activities:
- Current graduate students:
- Additional graduate students supported on my grants (primary research mentor in parentheses):
- Post-doctoral fellows on T32 (primary mentor in parentheses):
Selected Research Publications:
- 5th Annual G. Alan Marlatt Mentorship Award, Research Society on Alcoholism
- Fellow, Divisions 12 & 50, American Psychological Association
- MERIT (Method to Extend Research in Time) Award, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse, Betty Ford Lectureship award
- Association for Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy, Distinguished Service Award
- American Psychological Association, Division 50 (Addictions), Distinguished Career Contributions to Education and Training Award
- Chair, Diversity Committee, Research Society on Alcoholism
- Westerberg, V., McCrady, B. S., Owens, M .D., & Guerin, P. (2016). Community-based methadone maintenance in a large detention center is associated with decreases in inmate recidivism. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 70, 1-6.
- McCrady, B. S., Owens, M. D., Borders, A. Z., & Brovko, J. (2014). Psychosocial approaches to alcohol use disorders since 1940: A review. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 75, Supplement 17, 68-78.
- McCrady, B. S., Epstein, E. E., Cook, S., Jensen, N. K., & Hildebrandt, T. (2009). A randomized trial of individual and couple behavioral alcohol treatment for women. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77, 243-256.
- McCrady, B. S., Epstein, E. E., Cook, S., Jensen, N. K., & Ladd, B. O. (2011). What do women want? Alcohol treatment choices, treatment entry and retention. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 25, 521-529.
- Monnig, M. A., Tonigan, J. S., Yeo, R. A., Thoma, R. J., & McCrady, B. S. (2012). White matter volume in alcohol use disorders: A meta-analysis. Addiction Biology, 1369-1600.
- McCrady, B. S. & Epstein, E. E. (2013). Addictions: A comprehensive guidebook, 2nd edition. NY: Oxford University Press.
- McCrady, B. S., Epstein, E. E., Hallgren, K. A., Cook, S., & Jensen, N. K. (2016). Women with alcohol dependence: A randomized trial of couple versus individual plus couple therapy. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 30, 287-299.
- McCrady, B. S., Wilson, A., Muñoz, R., Fink, B., Fokas, K., & Borders, A. (in press). Alcohol-focused behavioral couple therapy. Family Process.
Download Dr. McCrady's full vita